Tuesday 23 November 2010

Pinafore dress

I have just finished my very first dress. I can't explain the surprise.... it all started with a piece of fabric and now it's a dress!
I can't describe how happy I am...and how glad I am that it's over. Let me explain, the satisfaction is immense, but the stress I had to go through was possibly greater!

For this dress I have followed the free pattern that I have found on the burda website www.burdastyle.com/patterns/denim-pinafore-us-letter-a4-printing--2 created by Angela Kane. I chose this as my first project because the wonderful Angela Kane has uploaded the full tutorial on youtube, which can be found following this link www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZzCsI_zRno
This tutorials are very helpful, but I haven't actually followed them as I decided I wanted to add lining on the inside of the dress (which the tutorial doesn't have). Instead I have attached the front bodice to the front skirt and the 2 halves of the back bodice to the 2 halves of the back skirt. I have then created a lining from the same pattern and I have attached the lining pieces in exactly the same way. I have then attached the front and the back of both the dress and the lining to at the shoulder seams and then I have understitched the neckline. To do that I followed this tutorial http://sewaholic.net/understitching-a-step-by-step-demo/

After that, I have added the zip to close the back, I followed this tutorial www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWo0GnwvVw although, because I had the lining as well to take into account, it took me quite some time!

Now the armholes! This was so much fun and joy! Just follow these instructions and cross your fingers... it really works!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwC6L7IMsQ

Sew the side seams and the hem and you have a dress! ok, it sounds easier than it is in reality... made loads of mistakes but I have learned loads as well. Possibly the most important lesson is to make the lining slightly larger than the actual dress...as it happens, the dress fits, but the lining inside it a little too tight...

No comments:

Post a Comment